Date: 17 – 28 Jan. 2011
Venue: University of Ghana – Legon, Accra, Ghana.
The major objective of the course are to give a wider understanding of basic concepts in fisheries data collection, sampling theories and statistical data analyses commonly used in tropical fisheries. This to improve fisheries management and policy development. sustainable exploitation and production, and to build their human resource capacity in the fisheries sector in the region. The specific objectives are as follows:
- Introduce basic concepts of the importance of Fisheries information;
- Introduce international standards and concepts in fisheries data collection;
- Introduce participants to basic concepts of sampling and design of routine fisheries data collection schemes;
- Introduce basic concepts of statistical data analyses;
- Introduce basic concepts of data storage and dissemination;
- Introduce the relevance of spatial aspects (GIS) in fisheries data collection and dissemination/presentation of information ;
- To provide practical issues and examples relevant to fisheries statistics and data collection.